Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday Funnies










Little House Behind the House
By Lee Stressman, Missouri Valley, Iowa
One of my bygone recollections as I recall the days of yore,
Is the Little House, behind the house, with the crescent over the door.
‘Twas a place to sit and ponder, with your head bowed down low,
Knowing you wouldn’t be there, if you didn’t have to go.

Ours was a three holer, with a size for everyone,
You left there feeling better, after your usual job was done.
You had to make these frequent trips whether snow, rain, sleet, or fog…
To the Little House where you usually found the Sears-Roebuck catalogue.

Often times in dead of winter the seat was covered with snow,
‘Twas then with much reluctance to the Little House, you’d go.
With a swish you’d clear the seat, bend low with dreadful fear.
You’d blink your eyes and grit your teeth as you settled on your rear.

I recall the day my granddad, who stayed with us one summer,
Made a trip to the shanty, which proved to be a “bummer”.
‘Twas the same day that my dad finished painting the kitchen green.
He’d just cleaned up the mess he’d made, with rags and gasoline.
He tossed the rags in the shanty hole, and went on his usual way,
Not knowing that by doing so, he would eventually rue the day.

Now Granddad had an urgent call, I never will forget!
This trip he made to the Little House, lingers in my memory, yet!
He sat down on the shanty seat, with both feet on the floor,
Then filled his pipe with tobacco and struck a match on the outhouse door.
After the tobacco began to glow, He slowly raised his rear,
Tossed the flaming match in the open hole, with no sign of fear.

The blast that followed, I am sure, was heard for miles around;
And there was poor ol’ Granddad, just sitting on the ground.
The smoldering pipe was still in his mouth, His suspenders he held tight;
The celebrated 3-holer was blown clear out of sight!!!
When we asked him what had happened, his answer I’ll never forget.
He thought it must be something, that he had recently’et!!

Next day, we had a new one, which my dad built with ease,
With a sign on the entrance door, which read: “No Smoking, Please”

Now that’s the end of the story, with memories of long ago
Of the Little House, behind the house, where we went ‘cause we had to go!!
Lois



4 comments:

  1. You had a knack for finding the funnies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the eskimo baptism gone bad lol and the story. Too cute!
    Happy Friday.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I copied the story. I liked it. Thanks for posting. I missed you. Arlona

    ReplyDelete